Inspired by a famous Restaurant in Pasadena, California, this Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread has some elements that really set it apart! Maple flavored with a nutty crunch, this zucchini bread will be your new favorite!
In Pasadena, there is a gem of a restaurant called Green Street Cafe. They might be best known for their salads but their zucchini bread really captured my heart. This is my keto-fied take on their famous zucchini bread. Zucchini bread comes in many varieties but this one has a few elements that really set it apart.
Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread can also be made as muffins, whether you prefer a loaf or individual muffins, you’ll be sure to love this recipe!
KEY INGREDIENTS KETO ZUCCHINI BREAD
This is the main ingredient that I use to make keto breads and desserts. It is my preferred sweetener by far. Allulose is a rare, low carb sugar that brings an authentic sweetness without any strange aftertaste or texture. It also helps to keep the Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread moist and make it even better on the second day – if you have any left!
Check out more keto recipes with allulose.
The zucchini bread from Green Street has a wonderful maple note. It’s sweet and rich and gives the zucchini bread a different twist. To capture this characteristic, we’ll add some maple flavoring, rather than high carb maple syrup to our Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread.
Walnuts & Sesame Seeds
The addition of nuts and seeds brings some texture to our zucchini bread. Walnuts stud the interior of the bread adding a pinch more interest and golden sesame seeds decorate the top of the loaf. The flavor of the nuts and seeds also helps to make this Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread unique.
Now that we have our star players in the game, it’s time to set up our plan!
Obviously Zucchini is the star and the other ingredients help give this Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread its unique flavor and texture. What we need to think about now is how to get the zucchini just right!
After washing the zucchini, we need to shred it. You can use a box grater a mandoline or the shredding attachment on your food processor. There’s no need to peel the zucchini. Phew!
The zucchini will be watery and needs to be drained. DON’T be tempted to skip this part! Place in a colander and allow to drain while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
When it’s time to add the zucchini, give it a good squeeze with your hands to try to remove excess moisture. This will help ensure that you’re bread has a good finished texture and isn’t too watery!
Final tip – be sure to give it all a GOOD MIX! The finished product will be a pretty stiff dough rather than a runny batter. If you don’t mix thoroughly you’ll end up with pockets of maple flavoring and blackstrap molasses rather than having them permeate through the whole loaf.
- Grater / mandoline / food processor
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- Cooking rack
Even when we do our best there are some things that can go wrong!
Why is my zucchini bread batter so thick?
That’s how it is supposed to be! Before it is ready to bake it should be a stiff dough that you will need to spoon into the pan and smooth out with a spatula or spoon, don’t worry!
Why is my zucchini bread batter so wet?
Zuccini is fairly wet on its own. To make zucchini bread you really need to drain it well and wring it out. If you’re about to put it in the pan and it seems very wet, you might consider turning it into a double batch and REALLY wring out the zucchini for the second half. Your zucchini should really be as dry as you can get it.
Why is my zucchini bread sticking to the pan?
My suggestion is to have your bread not even touch the pan! Use parchment paper to ensure that your bread does not stick to the pan. Otherwise, be sure to butter well or consider trying a non-stick pan.
Why is my zucchini bread damp on the bottom?
Ouch, been there and done that! Make sure you remove the bread from the pan and remove the parchment paper when it’s cool enough to touch. Allow it to cool the rest of the way on a wire rack. If you forget and leave it in the pan or parchment, it can sweat a bit and get a bit soggy. Dry it with a paper towel if this happens.
How should I serve Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread?
Some great ideas for serving this amazing bread:
- with a delicious slather of butter for breakfast
- Delicious with Keto Sweet Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam 🍓 and Keto Pumpkin Spice Butter
- served as a side with salad 🥗
- cooked on the griddle with butter as a lunch or snack
What should I drink with Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread?
Coffee ☕️ or tea go well with zucchini bread. Could be nice with beer or champagne for a brunch – let me know if you give that a try!
💕 MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Keto Pumpkin Coffee Cake Muffins are huge hit and great in a loaf pan!
- For chocolate lovers Keto Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Keto Beautiful Braided Challah Bread is an amazing yeast risen bread
- Keto Sweet Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam is delicious with quick breads!
Keto Pasadena Zucchini Bread
- 2 zucchini shredded and drained
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup allulose
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
add at the end
- 2 oz walnuts optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Shred the zucchini and place in a colander to drain.
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl mixing thoroughly to avoid any clumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly to distribute the molasses.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients being careful to mix well. The batter will be stiff and mixing thoroughly will ensure the maple flavor and molasses are evenly distributed.
- Before adding the zucchini wring out any remaining moisture.
- Add the walnuts and mix thoroughly to ensure good distribution.
- Pour into a parchment lined loaf pan and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Check for doneness at 20, a knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from pan to cool on a rack to prevent sweating. Once cool, slice and enjoy!