These Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches are gorgeous, chocolate cakes sandwiched with ice cream – perfect for a hot summer weekend! Sugar-free and high in protein, these little chocolate cakes make the perfect ice cream bun!
Who doesn’t love an amazing ice cream sandwich? It’s basically a chocolate cake bun piled high with ice cream! Our Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches are sugar-free, low carb, high protein and perfect for Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Sunday, Saturday or basically any day ending in -day!
These are shown as buns but you could easily spread the batter thin and bake as a sheet, spread with ice cream, wrap in freezer paper and have these just ready to go!
My true keto love! This sweetener tastes and behaves so similarly to sugar. It is a rare, naturally occurring sugar that is very low in calories and well as low carb. It’s hands down my favorite keto ingredient.
Check out more keto recipes with allulose.
This ZERO calorie fiber is usually used as a filler but in this Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe it makes up the bulk of the “flour” for our cakes. It is light and fluffy but can be a bit dry on its own. LifeSourse is absolutely my recommended brand. Other brands I’ve tried have been heavier and much darker and have resulted in a much less pleasant final product! Nothing is more disappointing than spending the time and money on a recipe and having it fail!
Check out more keto recipes with oat fiber.
Casein and Whey Proteins
These are the two other main ingredients to our flour for this Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe. They work together extremely well with the oat fiber to produce a light fluffy cake that is high in protein, so it’s healthy too!
This is a very simple recipe that doesn’t require advanced techniques. Phew! If you wanted the Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches to be VERY precise, you could create a template on your parchment papers. Choose a round guide like a 12 oz can or a pint glass and trace circles on the parchment paper. Turn the parchment over (to avoid getting graphite on your cakes) and use the circles as guides for precisely making cake circles!
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
There can be a couple of issues that pop up along the way.
Why is my cake batter dry?
This batter is naturally dry, but if it seems too dry did you omit the coffee and not replace it with almond milk? Double checking all the liquids, if it is still very dry try adding an additional tablespoon of almond milk. The final texture should be stiff like a mousse.
How can I tell the cakes are done?
Because these cakes are flat and the batter is light they will cook quickly. Insert a knife at the thickest part of one and check that it comes out clean.
How do I prevent the cakes from cooking unevenly?
Try to ensure that the cakes are all the same size so that they’ll cook at the same rate. Also, rotate the pan half way through if your oven doesn’t heat evenly. I do not recommend using convection with this recipe.
How to serve Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches?
This recipe is so versatile – there are many ways to use these baby cakes! Here are some ideas:
- Fill with your favorite store bought or homemade ice cream! 🍨
- Add a layer of peanut butter, caramel or jam for variety
- Fill with your favorite icing to make a jumbo sandwich cookie
- Fill with whipped cream and berries like a chocolate strawberry shortcake
What to drink with Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches?
Milk! 🥛 Filled with icing, milk would be the BFF to these cakes! Coffee is another solid beverage to pair with these. Tea could work too, I know my friends from across the pond seem to love the chocolate and tea pairings!
These Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches will be good in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days. The cakes can be frozen. Freeze on a cookie sheet then place all the cakes into a zip top bag and get most of the air out. I’d recommend thawing and then filling with ice cream when you plan to serve them.
❤️ MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- If you love chocolate cakes – you have to try Keto Whoppie Pies AKA Gobs!
- Keto Chocolate Marshmallow Cloud Cake is a stunning and delicious option!
- Keto German Chocolate Cupcakes are also a chocolate winner!
Keto Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Parchment paper for lining your pans
- 1/2 cup oat fiber specifically LifeSource brand
- 1/2 cup allulose
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup casein protein specifically Muscle Feast
- 1/4 cup whey protein specifically Isopure
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum I have omitted this successfully if you’re not a fan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup avocado oil can substitute melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt sour cream also works
- 2 tablespoons coffee optional, if not used add 2 tablespoons of almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In one bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Cocoa and protein powders can clump so be very thorough.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet until the mixture is well incorporated. The texture should be pudding-like. If it’s too stiff, add another tablespoon of almond milk.
- Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Scoop the batter onto the parchment making 2″ sized circles; leave room for cakes to expand as they bake.
- Bake at 325 F and begin checking for doneness at 10 minutes. Cake is done when set and a knife inserted at the thickest part comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack completely before filling with your favorite ice cream!